There are an estimated 86,625* children in England with life-limiting or life-threatening conditions. This number has trebled over the last 17 years and is rising. Thousands of families have to face the very real possibility that their child may die and struggle to cope on a day to day basis. Our Family Support Workers provide a lifeline to these families and children.
When a child has a serious illness, family life is turned upside down and time becomes more precious than ever. Rainbow Trust pairs each family with an expert Family Support Worker who enables them to make the most of time together, giving them practical and emotional support, whenever they need it, for as long as is needed.
We support the whole family including parents, carers, the unwell child, brothers, sisters and grandparents. Support is hugely varied and depends on the needs of the family. It can include:
- listening to a family’s fears and anxieties
- helping to explain illnesses, diagnoses and treatments
- keeping a seriously ill child company during hospital stays
- driving families to medical appointments to help save time and money
- organising fun activities to help sick children, their brothers and sisters
- support through bereavement and grief.
Watch our video to learn more: