Are you a speaker of Urdu or Tigrean?
We are looking for Family Support Volunteers fluent in either of the above languages to support our North West Care Team in their work with families in the Manchester area. This is a great opportunity to directly support families with a seriously ill child, on an occasional, ad hoc basis. We are looking for volunteers who can assist Family Support Workers with referral meetings, initial assessments and reviews on an occasional basis, providing an interpreter service between the family and staff.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support a Family Support Workers to communicate directly with a families with a seriously ill child
- Be available to support in the family home, in the community, or at the hospital
- Support Family Support Workers with initial assessments, referrals and reviews on an occasional, ad hoc basis
Experience and Skills Required:
- Fluency in English and in the required first language
- Ability to build relationships based on excellent communication and active listening skills
- Experience of interacting with people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Experience of interacting with children and young people
- Ability to work with children and young people with complex health needs
- Ability to empathise with families in stressful circumstances
- Commitment to setting and maintaining appropriate professional and personal boundaries in line with Rainbow Trust policies
- Non Judgemental approach
- Warm, friendly and a sense of humour
- This is an ad hoc role, so while we do not ask you to commit to a set amount of time per week, a degree of flexibility would be beneficial.
Training & Support:
A dedicated member of staff will guide and support you in your work plus you will receive supporting materials, a full induction to the charity and specific training, where appropriate, to help you get the most from your role.
• Rainbow Trust induction
• Mandatory training as required for the role
• Additional non mandatory training is available for volunteers who would like to develop their skills and knowledge in certain areas
• One to one support and supervision
If you are interested in volunteering with us, or finding out more about the role, please call 01372 220043, or email email@example.com