Our care team in the North East are looking for Hospital Support volunteers to provide respite support to parents caring for their children being treated at the Great North Children's Hospital.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
· To provide respite support to parents by sitting with a child or young person in hospital, reading, playing games or just talking for a couple of hours to give parents a short break from the hospital ward
· Provide sibling support or support for the whole family
Experience and Skills Required:
· Ability to build relationships based on excellent communication and active listening skills
· Experience of interacting with people from a wide variety of backgrounds
· Experience of interacting with children and young people
· Ability to work with children and young people with complex health needs
· Flexible approach with the ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
· Ability to empathise with families in stressful circumstances
· Commitment to setting and maintaining appropriate professional and personal boundaries in line with Rainbow Trust policies
· Non judgemental approach
· Warm, friendly and a sense of humour
· This role is an out of hours role, evenings and weekends and we ask that you can commit to volunteering on a weekly basis and have some flexibility to accommodate family needs.
For more information or to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call our Volunteering Team on 01372 220043.